In less than a week, one aspirant musician is going to kick-start their music journey with a bang when they are named the first ever Moshito Music Conference and Exhibition Demo winner.
This year, Africa’s seminal music conference is paying it forward by introducing the Demo Presentation competition. A first of its kind for this 12 year-old conference, this new segment will afford an unsigned musician one of the biggest platforms to showcase their talent, as well as a prize bundle worth R20 000. Amateur and professional musicians are invited to take advantage of this opportunity by registering and participating in Moshito 2015.
They will get a chance to present their songs to a panel of music industry judges as well as influential decision-makers in the music industry, vying for the golden prize.
How the competition works
The best demo presentation, as decided by the judges, will win a prize package worth R20 000 and a chance to have the bragging rights of being named the Moshito 2015 Demo Presentation Competition Winner.
The R20 000 prize package includes the items below which are designed to assist artists to jumpstart their music careers, gain recognition and exposure in the music industry.
- Trophy and title of the Moshito 2015 Demo Presentation Competition Winner
- Funding the production and recording of two songs
- Short biography (half a page)
- Artwork of the CD cliché
- Radio sampling and interview
- Photo shoot
The competition winner will be announced at the end of the conference on 11 September 2015.
To be eligible to enter the competition, contestants must:
- Purchase a ticket to attend the Moshito 2015 conference as a delegate. Only those that have a valid ticket will be allowed to participate in the competition.
- Upon arrival at the Moshito Conference venue on 10 September 2015, promptly register themselves as an entrant for the Demo Presentation Competition by dropping their demo CD with contact details into the Demo Box located inside the conference venue by 15h00.
- Be present in the K1 Auditorium, which is the venue for the Demo Competition, when contestants are picked out from the Demo Box. If not the next entry picked will take their place. This is non-negotiable so come early
- Must be ready to perform one track on backtrack should they make it into the Top Two.
- There will be two sessions on 11 September 2015 dedicated to the Demo Presentation Competition during the conference. The first one will take place from 09h00-10h00 and the second session will take place between 16h30-17h30.
- Contestants will be picked randomly from the Demo Box in front of everyone via a raffle mechanism, giving all entrants an equal opportunity to be chosen for the presentation.
- Only 10 contestants will be picked to present their Demos to the judges; five for the morning session and another five for the afternoon session.
- One winner will be picked from each session to form the Top Two
- The Top Two will then be put in front of a room full of music industry players during a social networking event at the end of the conference, to perform one song on backtrack. The contestant that gets the most screams when the audience is prompted wins the competition.
The 10 contestants will each be given five minutes for their presentation: one minute to introduce themselves to the judges and four minutes to play one track for the judges.
Entrants will be judged on the following criteria:
- Overall likeability
For some of the richest music knowledge this side of the continent and a chance to meet the fascinating and successful people in this industry, make sure you don’t miss this year’s Moshito Music Conference and Exhibition.
You might not get to win the competition, but the invaluable knowledge you will glean from mingling with top industry players will be invaluable.
PLEASE NOTE: The decision of the judges is final and binding. No correspondence shall be entered into.