The SAST (South African State Theatre) is offering South African theatre practitioners the opportunity to stage their work at its portable theatre space, the Momentum theatre, and other available spaces, for the period of October 2015 to March 2017, under the banner of its independent theatre programme, the Indie Spotlight (formerly STIPP).
The Indie Spotlight is growing in leaps and continues to offers a platform to independent theatre practitioners to stage their productions at the State Theatre with no venue charges and with full technical support – including the usage of State Theatre resources like décor, costume, marketing, and a small fee towards the production budget. This time around this fee has been raised from R25 000 to R50 000 for each production. The independent producers will receive 60% of the door takings.
The SAST is looking to fill slots for:
– Children’s Theatre
– Schools Set-works
– Cutting-Edge Drama, Dance, and Music Shows
– And whatever genre is interesting
Proposals can be submitted to:
For more information you can contact:
Paul Grootboom or Thabiso Qwabe on:
Tel: 082 399 1483 / 012 392 4000
Proposal should include:
– A two-page cover letter motivating the submission
– A one- or two-page description or a simple story outline of the project
– Half or one-third of the production script (if available) – if not available, then a sample scene of what the script will look like
– A brief description of the company or biographies of the creative team that includes contact details.
The proposals will be evaluated by the SAST Artistic Committee, consisting of employees of the SAST Artistic Department and the SAST External Dramaturges.
Successful applicants will be informed by 31 August 2015 and results will be announced/published on/by 15 September 2015.
NB: Please note that there are limited slots and that the SAST cannot schedule all submissions.