Stay and play in Sandton … while you own the jazz
Members of the Sandton Tourism Association (STA) will be offering a number of accommodation and other specials when Africa’s premiere jazz festival, Standard Bank Joy of Jazz, comes to Sandton for the first time from September 25 to 27 this year.
Jazz giants from across the globe – including four-time Grammy © Award-winner Dianne Reeves; National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Master trombonist Delfeayo Marsalis and South African musical legends Sibongile Khumalo and Jonas Gwangwa – are part of the line-up for this year’s Standard Bank Joy of Jazz, which takes place at the Sandton Convention Centre.
The festival is expected to attract thousands of guests from around the country and the continent. The Sandton Tourism Association – which has nearly 100 members including retailers, hotels, tour operators, transport providers, restaurants and shopping centres as well as the Sandton Convention Centre – are looking forward to welcoming all visitors who will be coming to Work, Stay, Play or Shop.
Special accommodation rates for those coming to Sandton for the jazz weekend are available. See below or find details on the STA website www.sandtontourism.com.
• Tsogo Sun and its three hotels – Sandton Sun, Intercontinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers and Garden Court Sandton – are the official accommodation sponsors of Standard Bank Joy of Jazz. They are offering show and stay packages from R2 300 for two people sharing, including two Standard Bank Joy of Jazz tickets – a one day pass with access to 16 acts; accommodation and breakfast for two; transfers to and from the Sandton Convention Centre from select hotels and transfers to and from the Gautrain station.
o Go to:http://www.tsogosunhotels.com/sun-breaks/more-offers/pages/standard-bank-joy-of-jazz-2014.aspx
• City Lodge’s various hotels have a number of specials. Courtyard Hotel Sandton: R1150; City Lodge Hotel Sandton, Morningside: R890; City Lodge Hotel Sandton, Katherine Street: R890; Town Lodge Sandton, Grayston Drive: R690. In all cases, the rate is per room, single or double and is valid from September 23 to 29.
o Only online bookings apply at www.clhg.com using the promotional code SHOPPING14.
• Crowne Plaza Johannesburg The Rosebank is offering the following special rates. Single B&B: R1 000 per room per night (1 pax); Double B&B: R1 200 per room per night (2 pax). The offer is valid from September 24 to 28.
o To make a reservation please email email@example.com. Quote the rate code: ILOTHJAZ
• Faircity Quatermain – The hotel has a number of special offers starting with a standard room Single rate of R1 000 (usually R2 200) on September 26 and 27, including bed and breakfast as well as discounted rates on September 25. Special rates are available on all room categories. Free transfers to SCC and Sandton included.
o Go to www.faircity.co.za for more information.
• Faircity Falstaff – The hotel has special offers starting with a standard room Single rate of R900 (usually R1 650) on September 26 and 27 including bed and breakfast, as well as discounted rates on September 25. Special rates are available on all room categories. Free transfers to SCC and Sandton included.
o Go to www.faircity.co.za for more information.
• Holiday Inn Sandton in Rivonia Road is offering a package at R1 160 single or double occupancy (max two per room) which is inclusive of breakfast, transfers to Nelson Mandela Square and one drink to the value of R40 per person.
• Protea Hotel Balailaika – The hotel is offering a rate of R1 045 bed and breakfast, single occupancy and R1 200 bed and breakfast, twin sharing for the duration of the event. A block code, “Joy of Jazz”, has been created on their system so all guests making their own reservations will have to quote the block code to get this special rate. As an additional extra, the hotel also has complimentary shuttle services to and from the SCC and surrounding areas.
o Go towww.balalaika.co.za and www.proteahotels.com/balalaika
• The Maslow Hotel– Priced from R999, The Maslow is offering a low weekend rate in celebration of Heritage week with complimentary breakfast inclusive.The package includes a luxury double room and a complimentary breakfast for two people as well as a complimentary shuttle every 15 minutes to Sandton Gautrain and Sandton City.
Other activities at the hotel include:
September 21 – Jazz Sunday Kick off Gourmet Braai and live Johannesburg Youth Orchestra Jazz band at the Maslow’s Lacuna Bistro(R250 pp buffet and glass of bubbly)1pm -5pm
September 22 to 26 -Jazz evenings at The Maslow’s Lacuna Bistro and Bar every evening leading up to final event on Sunday, jazz band by (JYO) Jhb Youth Orchestra every evening 6pm- 9pm
September 28 – JOJ Grand Finale Show- Sunday Gourmet Braai and live Jazz band at the Maslow’s Lacuna Bistro, overlooking a tranquil oasis garden.(R250pp – buffet and glass of bubbly)1pm-5pm
o Go to www.suninternational.com/maslow
• The Park Inn – The Standard Bank Joy of Jazz rate is R1 290 single and R1 390 double bed and breakfast. Rates include complimentary wireless internet access as well as a complimentary shuttle to and from the Sandton Gautrain station and Sandton City Shopping Centre.
Other special offers during Standard Bank Joy of Jazz:
• Cresco Tours – This well-known Sandton tour operator is offering special tours to Liliesleaf Farm in Rivonia. The raid by security police on Liliesleaf Farm in 1963 led to the arrest and capture of members of the high command of Umkonto we Sizwe (the military wing of the African National Congress), and the subsequent Rivonia Trial, which resulted in the life long imprisonment of key ANC, South African Communist Party and Congress Alliance leaders.
The late Nelson Mandela and key leaders of the struggle, hiding from apartheid authorities, operated from the farm for two years. Mandela’s alias was David Motsamayi, the supposed gardener, cook and chauffeur at Liliesleaf, and to avoid suspicion he lived in the tiny servants’ quarters. In reality, however, it was the base of the underground, newly formed Umkhonto weSizwe, the armed wing of the ANC.
With approximately 60% of the original building structure having been restored, Liliesleaf embodies the experiential aspect of South Africa’s recent political history.
The tour cost is R850 per person or R700 each for two to three persons R550 each for four to seven people. A 10 percent discount will be offered on these prices during Standard Bank Joy of Jazz.
o Book at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.crescotours.co.za
• Pogiso Tours10 percent discount on all airport transfers between September 24 to 28 to Sandton and surrounding areas.
• Uber – first time riders up to R200 off their first ride
* Go towww.uber.com
• Hello Joburg magazine -GoHello mobile app to download
* More details on www.spinnercom.com and www.gohello.co.za
• Hands On Retreat Guest House and Sleep Spa– special packages during SBJoJ
For more information go to www.sandtontourism.com
Issued by JAG Communications on behalf of the Sandton Tourism Association